Sunday, September 26, 2010

this post is LOADED with sugar

My sister and I made jelly this week.  We used scuppernongs but I really just like calling it muscadine jelly.  Our Nana makes jelly and she can't wait to critique ours.  We are really trying to make sure that we learn from our Nana before she can't remember how to do these things anymore.  I think we may be too late on the biscuits and they may be gone for good.  Very sad.

The whole kitchen got sticky and I think we used all the dishes, but it was fun.  I enjoyed the popping sounds that the jars made during the night, all but one sealed and that went straight to the fridge for Lou's morning toast.  It tastes great but it came out a little cloudier than we would have liked.  I blame that on not having the right tools for the job.  I'll definitely pick up some cheesecloth or a jelly bag and a pair of jar lifters before we start on the apple jelly and pie filling.

Here's a pic!

1 comment:

rxervin said...

I'm late, but I read it! Yay for homemade jelly! I swear I'm going to grow up and can something one of these days... I have bushels of apples begging for me to make applesauce. I'm so intimidated by canning though, for some reason. Maybe it's from watching my mom can while I was growing up and remember seeing all the dirty dishes, sweat, tears, and hours spent. Yep, that's it. I'm shaking already!