Tuesday, January 20, 2009

#71

Last weekend was our annual trip with Alex's family to Tennessee. We've been going up there for the last few years to spend time with Alex's brothers and their families. They live in MD and VA and we don't see them very much. I had fun, we played games, ate good food, watched movies, and had interesting conversations. I like hearing Dad Said's take on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict since he is from Jerusalem. I don't know if I necessarily agree with him but he definitely shed some light on the situation for me.
I would like to say that it was a relaxing trip but it really wasn't. Somehow, we had to share a room with our nephew and Alex's little brother, Michael. It was loud, smelly, and kind of awkward. I didn't get a lot of sleep, I crashed yesterday and slept for hours after we got home. Hopefully, we won't have to do that again. I'm not really sure why we were stuck in a room with other peoples children, especially since we don't have a family of our own (pets weren't allowed), but we made the best of it. Alex and I always feel like the adults at the kid table. (At least in his family, everyone acts like children at mine). I used to consider this a bad thing but I'm beginning to think differently.
The cabin had a great view of the Smokey Mountains and it snowed a lot on Monday. It was lovely. I would feel privileged to wake up to that view every morning.

Oh, I just remembered there wasn't any Wi-Fi! Booo!
I am listening to the inauguration on the radio as I am writing this. It feels way more like history-in-the-making listening to it rather than watching it. Besides, this computer at work won't be able to stream the video with out blowing up. The NPR correspondent keeps mentioning Michelle Obama's yellow dress, I guess they are just trying to offer a visual but I can't imagine why someone listening to the event on the radio would really care about such things. I didn't vote for Obama but I do hope that he does a good job. I really wouldn't want to be in his shoes right now. I can't even imagine the stress involved with the escalating conflict in the middle east and the crash of the world's economy. I am surprised that there aren't more presidential suicides. I guess some people are just made for that sort of thing. I'm not one of those folks. I am enjoying the fanfare, though. We really are blessed that power is transferred so peacefully in our country and that no one had to kill W to get him out of office.

I was going to post a pic from my weekend but I haven't unpacked the camera cable yet. I am feeling pretty lazy so I probably won't do it today. I may not upload the photos until February, since I have already used 99% of my 100 MB Flickr limit this month. I really need to stop being such a cheap ass and upgrade to a pro account.


soundtrack for the homebody that doesn't want to leave again anytime soon: Home Again-Carole King

No comments: