Wednesday, May 26, 2010

B&W

I was sad to see LOST go.  I'm not going to go on and on about how bad the finale was.  It was the finale of a great show.  They're all bad.  I decided after seeing the smoke monster popcorn recipe on the kitchn that I needed to commemorate the end of our favorite television program with a theme meal.  We grilled some of Alex's catch and I made this coconut sticky rice recipe along with a small fruit salad.  The mangoes made me realize that I don't know how to choose a ripe mango fruit.  I need to see if AB has touched on the subject.  I made Black and White Cookies for dessert.  They are also known as half and half cookies and half moon cookies.  I've never had a b&w cookie but I keep seeing them pre-packaged at Costco and they fit the theme so I went for it.  I used MS's cookie recipe but after reading the icing reviews I opted for the Hemstrought's Bakery icing.  The fudge icing was perfect (although it was brown, not black) but the white icing was buttercream and it just looked sloppy alongside the smooth black.  I wish now that I had used Martha's recipe.  I'm sorry Martha, I never should have doubted you. The cookie was cake-like and lemony.  I liked it, here's a pic that I took today after the neatest cookies were already eaten.

 We didn't get to have the smoke monster popcorn because I didn't try hard enough to find ground loomi or nigella seeds.  We had jiffy pop though and it was great!

Speaking of popcorn.  I really want this.

No comments: