Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wanderlust



The weather has been great this week! The high temp most days has been over 70 degrees. I keep catching myself thinking of springtime activities and I get all depressed when I realize its still early January. I guess I shouldn't be wishing my life away.


I just finished reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. My crazy neighbor gave me the book before she went way crazy. I didn't realize it was a movie until I started looking for the cover art a minute ago. My cover looks like this:




I hate it when a movie comes out and the book covers change to the film art. I'm glad I got to this one before it was ruined. The book was good. If you haven't read it, its about a young man that leaves his family and a bright future to roam the country. He meets interesting people and has a lot of adventures but ends up dead in a bus in the Alaskan wilderness. I have trouble figuring out if I should admire him for living life by his own rules and taking chances or if I should think that he is selfish for putting himself in harms way and making his poor family and friends worry. Now I remember why I don't read non-fiction (except weblogs, Bust, and Game Informer). I get stuck on this stuff and can't get it out of my head. Dragons, wizards, and vampires really aren't that deep. I should stick with them. Now I want to hit the road, get rid of everything and not be held prisoner by my possessions. I was tempted to go out and buy some Tolstoy, Thoreau, and London-and I still may- but I got a different book. I am hoping its going to make me want to sit on the couch, play video games, and hoard things (just kidding). It's called Death of a Squire. Hehe, the title is making me feel lazy already.


No comments: